When I got geography at primary school the main things I remember is that I had to learn which provinces we had in the Netherlands, and which towns are located where. At secondary school, the scope was broadened to Europe, the rest of the world. Of course, the location of major mountain ranges and rivers was included, again the form of “What is the name of this mountain range?” or “Where is river X?”.
This weeks puzzle is not so much a puzzle as an alternative geography test. If you are a geography buff, try your hand at this! The first question is a traditional question, to get you going, but the remaining questions require you to work with your geography knowledge in an unconventional way.
(Nearly) Everybody knows a lot more about the area close by than about countries far away. For this reason this questionnaire differentiates between USA, Dutch/European, and other countries. For these last, I welcome additions in the remarks section at the bottom of this post.
Rule: answer from your head – do not consult an atlas or wikipedia.
1) What is the capital of the State Arkansas?
2) Which states border the state of Missouri?
3) Mention three state capitals that start with the letter “D”.
4) Through which states does the river Rio Grande flow?
5) Which state has a larger surface: Wisconsin or Wyoming?
6) What is the largest (in terms of population) city in the state Alabama?
7) Which primary interstate highway serves the most states?
8) Geographical knowledge should also encompass knowledge not directly related to your home country. Which countries does Bolivia border in the west?
1) What is the capital of Ukraine?
2) With which countries does Austria share a border?
3) Mention 3 capitals starting with a B?
4) Through which countries does the river Donau flow?
5) Which country has a greater area, Austria or Czech republic?
6) Which capital has more inhabitants, Berlin, Londin or Paris?
7) Mention 5 countries in Europe with mountains above 3000 meters.
1) What is the capital of Cambodia?
2) With which countries does Afghanistan share a border?
3) Mention 3 capitals starting with a “D”
4) Through which countries does the Mekong river flow?
5) Which country has a greater area, Thailand or Iraq?
6) Which capital has more inhabitants: Manila or Riyadh?
7) What is the length of the longest highway in China?
1) What is the capital of Noord Holland
2) Which provinces border Gelderland?
3) Noem 3 steden met meer dan 100.000 inwoners die met de letter D beginnen
4) Door of langs welke provincies stroomt de rivier de Maas?
5) Welke provincie heeft een groter oppervlak: Drenthe of Limburg?
6) Welke stad in Gelderland heeft de meeste inwoners?
7) Door welke provincies loopt de A4?
You can check your solution here
New puzzles are published at least twice a month on Fridays.